Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Running away from ... running?

The last time I REALLY ran was when I was training for the half marathon last spring.  As in a YEAR ago. 

Over the past year I focussed on spinning, bootcamps and now, crossfit.

I had outgrown my love of running and the few attempts at restarting had failed because I found it boring.

However - once I switched over to crossfit full time I reluctantly gave up my membership where I was spinning.

Do you see where this is going? All crossfit, no real "cardio".  Of course there is cardio in the workouts at crossfit, but I'm not any purely cardio sessions.  And I'm OK with that, really, I am.  I love focussing on my strength and increasing weights rather than running.

BUT, as our new gym is under renovations, there is a lot of running involved in our workouts (all our workouts are currently outside).  And I'm... slow.  And I'm used to being... fast.  Not Katie fast,  but what I consider fast.  And I had endurance.

Now it appears I have neither.  We had a 1.2km warm up before class this morning and I was huffing and puffing and sloooowwwww......

I've decided now I need to pick up the cardio again - am thinking of interval training on the high school track near my house.  I'm not interested in the long slow runs (boooring), but short, quick, fast interval training (I find the time goes faster when I'm looking at my watch for distance or speed).  I'd run to and from the track, so hopefully 6ish k in total? 

I'm not exactly looking forward to it, but think it's necessary.  I do have new awesome shoes to run in.



Wish me luck.




5 people had this to say:

Kataroo said...

I swear Ryan is feeling the same thing. He has lost his love of running, he's selling his Army run bib, hasn't run since the May Race and has been saying he's dying in the crossfit runs of late.
I keep telling him he should do what you just said :) Smart girls think alike :) hehehe
But seriously awesome plan, unless your training for a LONG STUPID DISTANCE (which I am dumb enough to love) you don't need the long boring runs. Your interval work over a 5-6km distance is ideal.
warm up and cool down for 1 km and the meat in the middle is intervals of HARD:Recovery. You reap the metabolic benefits of HIIT training! and its not boring! WIN WIN!
Keep us posted :)

Christy said...

Thanks for telling me that Katie! I partnered up with Ryan last Saturday for our workout and I couldn't keep up with him while he was the one carrying the wallball - I was in dead last.

I am using the info you sent me a while back about interval training and will start posting about my love (or hatred!) of it :)

And I love that you love it, the most motivating thing to read/listen to is when people love the exercise they are doing. You can do it for the rest of us :)))

Amy said...

I got an email from a friend the other day that I hadn't heard from in a while that asked how running was.

I wrote back something like "I'm over running" and he wrote back something like "I never thought I'd hear that sentence come out of your mouth".

I did run on the revolving aparatus of death last night. Aimed for 20 mins, and tapped out at 10. Baby steps. :)

Christy said...

It IS all baby steps - and keeping it FUN. I mean, as fun as running can be. But I'm thinking/hoping that if I do adapt my running to what I know I like (intervals, shorter distances) then it will come back to me.

Chantal said...

I have been wanting to do interval training too. I NEED it for soccer. I just need to motivate myself to do it. My weight workouts add interval training in a few weeks and I will do it on the treadmill, although I like the idea of doing them outside. Goulbourn is right next door the highschool. I should just head out there when I can :)